Re: fastcgi echo hangs if called via form

Sonya Rikhtverchik (rikhtver@OpenMarket.com)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:57:55 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Re: fastcgi echo hangs if called via form
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:57:55 -0400
From: Sonya Rikhtverchik <rikhtver@OpenMarket.com>

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:21:34 -0600
From: Kelly Carney <Kelly_Carney@stortek.com>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com, Kelly_Carney@stortek.com

Important detail added below.  Somebody PLEASE verify
this problem... Kelly

Kelly Carney wrote:

> Can someone verify this problem.  It's simple to demonstrate
> and it's driving me crazy.
>
> A link that uses the fastcgi "echo" (Perl or C version) example
> program works fine.  But a FORM action set to call the fastcgi
> echo program will hang.
>
> My current setup:
>    perl5.004 compiled with sfio
>    fastcgi library 2.01b2.1 (from http://fastcgi.idle.com/ )
>       cgi-fcgi with Netscape Server 2.0 (also have 3.0)
>    FCGI.pm 0.31
>    Solaris 5.4 (I also have 5.5.1 available)
>
> Using fastcgi 1.5.2 cgi-fcgi works fine!
>
> Here's a little illustration of the parts to this puzzle:
> Netscape Browser 3.01 ---------->   Netscape Server 2.0
> <form method="POST"                 |
>  action="/cgi-bin/echo.fcgi">       |
>                                     echo.fcgi (cgi-fcgi 2.01b2.1)
>                                     :port echo (C or perl version)

I need to point out that "echo.fcgi" is a small bourne sh script
and it looks like this:

#!/bin/sh -f
# Tries to connect, if fails, starts running on port 2867, and then connects
/appl/enterprise/cgi-bin/cgi-fcgi -bind -connect localhost:2867 2> /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
   /appl/enterprise/cgi-bin/cgi-fcgi -start -connect :2867
/appl/enterprise/cgi-
bin/ctms3/echo_c
   /appl/enterprise/cgi-bin/cgi-fcgi -bind -connect localhost:2867
fi

------- End of Forwarded Message