Re: OS Error.... again and again..

Fabian Thylmann (thylmann@m1.sprynet.com)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:35:25 +0200

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:35:25 +0200
To: scrantr@ix.netcom.com
From: Fabian Thylmann <thylmann@m1.sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: OS Error.... again and again..

At 10:23 AM 9/23/97 -0400, Richard Scranton wrote:
>How does the number of TIME_WAITs compare to the maximum number of
>open files/sockets per process?  Are you running out of socket
>connections while waiting for TIME_WAIT to expire?  TIME_WAIT
>period is supposed to be four minutes, but can usually be configured
>for a shorter interval ( I've heard of it being set to as little as
>30 seconds in some cases ).  Another tunable to consider.  You must
>be attempting to sustain a terrific transaction rate to see that
>many rejections per second.  -rs

Well.. I'd say there are like 70%-80% TIME_WAITs, the rest are FIN_WAIT_2
or ESTABLISHED or other standard ones.. but MOST are TIME_WAITs

Hmm.. I will look into what this is set to.. For what is this exactly used?

Also, these number of rejections are only peak times. Normally there are
less.. but like I told Stanley Gambarin already, currently it looks like
the accept() bug.. Check the email I sent to Stanley Gambarin for more info.

- Fabian Thylmann