Re: fastcgi echo hangs if called via form

Stanley Gambarin (stanleyg@cs.bu.edu)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:17:17 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:17:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Stanley Gambarin <stanleyg@cs.bu.edu>
To: rykhus@mail.mankato.msus.edu
Subject: Re: fastcgi echo hangs if called via form

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Alan Rykhus wrote:

> A problem I've just found with our fastcgi script involves when the
> REQUEST_METHOD is POST. For some reason there is no CONTENT_LENGTH
> passed to the script(I'm still looking into it). When it does the read
> the length is 0 so nothing is read to get variables to pass to the
> script. We're able to work around that with a default page, but this
> could be a possibility to look at.

	This could be a potential problem.. if there is no
Content-length header passed, then the application has no idea
how much input to expect.  Ideally it would just soak up all
the input until there is no more left, but I am not sure if
that is what we do right now...
	A sample test would be to connect to the web server
using telnet and issue the following command:

POST /name/to/fcgi/app HTTP 1.0

where xxx is the length of the data and the rest is the data...
unfortunately, I can not test this until tomorrow, so if someone
want to take a whack at it and report the results..If it doesn't
work, then there is a problem with the developer kit, but if
it does, then its the potential problem with the browser, which
does not setup the Content-length correctly.

						Stanley.