Re: fastcgi echo hangs if called via form

Sonya Rikhtverchik (
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:28:03 -0400

Subject: Re: fastcgi echo hangs if called via form
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:28:03 -0400
From: Sonya Rikhtverchik <>

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:14:01 -0700
From: Devin Ben-Hur <>
Organization:, Inc.
To: Kelly Carney <>

Kelly Carney wrote:
> Thanks for the problem verification.  I'm never quite sure if it's
> just me or not with this stuff.
> FYI, I sent Stan (the main man) a stack dump and a couple truss
> (system call traces) files that show the hanging process getting
> stuck on a call to poll().  Looks like there should have been one
> more file descriptor being polled.  Hope that's a clue as to what's
> really going wrong.

Please let me know if you figure out the problem.  I backed
out of fcgidk 2.x and am using 1.5.x because I couldn't fix
the POST problem, but I'd rather use newer code.

> I REALLY need this to stuff to work better.  We have things setup
> so we get paged when our application hangs.  Happening 1 to 5 times
> a day now.  It'll only get worse.

Yeah, I'm similarly frustrated.  I'm running Perl5.004_1 w/sfio and 0.28 (the last version to use the 1.5 libs) and FCGI-dk 1.5.x
thru cgi-fcgi under SunOS 4.1.4 w/Netscape Commerce on the site in my
.sig.  We're getting about 3000 requests/day (which peaks at about
3/second tho averaging only 2/minute). I've done some hacking to fix and
instument cgi-fcgi 1.5.x but I still get anomolous behavior and hangs
2-6 times/day.

Until I get these problems sorted out, I've got a cron'd monitor program
that checks to see if the site's hung every 3 minutes and if it's not
responding, it kills and restarts the FCGI app-server(s).

I'm moving to Solaris & Apache soon, and I hope FCGI works better there,
though I'll still be using the cgi-fcgi shim because the ISP hosting our
site doesn't trust the mod_fastcgi stuff for Apache.

- --
Devin Ben-Hur     <>, Inc.  The Ultimate Game Store
"Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest" -- Martian Ambassador

------- End of Forwarded Message